Church Planting Top Ten Reading List
1. The Purpose Driven Church by Rick Warren. Hardcover: 400 pages Publisher: Nelson Books (November 27, 1995) ISBN: 0310201063. Best book written on the church in this generation.
2. Planting Growing Churches For The 21st Century: A Comprehensive Guide For New Churches And Those Desiring Renewal by Aubrey Malphurs. Paperback: 430 pages Publisher: Baker Books; 3rd edition (October 1, 2004) English ISBN: 0801065143. The most complete and best organized book on church planting on the market.
3. Church Planting: Laying Foundations by Stuart Murray. Paperback: 288 pages Publisher: Herald Press (PA) (February 2001) Language: English ISBN: 083619148X. One of the few church planting books that addresses the theological issues of planting.
4. Planting Missional Churches by Ed Stetzer. Paperback: 365 pages Publisher: Broadman & Holman Publishers (June 2003) ISBN: 0805427309. Excellent resource with lots of web references.
5. Church Planting Movements: How God is Redeeming a Lost World by David Garrison. Paperback English ISBN: 0974756202. Every planter needs to read this book to see the awesome things God is doing in the world. Primarily a house church movement.
6. Organic Church: Growing Faith Where Life Happens by Neil Cole. Hardcover: 272 pages Publisher: Jossey-Bass (September 8, 2005) ISBN: 078798129X. This is an American expression of the house church movement that is happening right now.
7. Rediscovering Church: The Story and Vision of Willow Creek Community Church by Bill Hybels, Lynne Hybels. Hardcover: 213 pages Publisher: Zondervan (August 1, 1995) ISBN: 0310593204. Every planter needs to read the first half of the book for what not to do in church planting and the second half of the book for developing a mission that has withstood the test of time.
8. Starting High Definition Churches by Ron Sylvia. Paperback: 258 pages Publisher: High Definition Resources (May 2004) ISBN: 0975450905. This book details how to plant a purpose driven church. Ron conducts Purpose Driven Planting conferences.
9. Starting a New Church: The Church Planter’s Guide to Success by Ralph Moore. Paperback: 244 pages Publisher: Regal Books (September 2002) ISBN: 0830729666. Anyone that has planted as many churches as Ralph Moore has must be read.
10. Church Planting Landmines by Tom Nebel and Gary Rohemyer. Paperback: 140 pages Publisher: ChurchSmart Resources, (2004) ISBN: 1889638501. It gives an excellent map as to where the church planting landmines are located.
For annotated list by our colleague, Ed Stetzer, please click here.